The Re-Birth Of An Iconic Legend
No one can argue the legendary capabilities nor achievements of the Catalina amphibious flying boat. From the sighting of the Bismarck in the Eastern Atlantic before the United States officially entered the War, to the perceived last mission of the War, delivering the "Instrument of Surrender" to the Missouri anchored in Toyko Bay, the mighty Catalina has served and defended many nations during their time of need. After the War, Air France commissioned Consolidated-Vultee to convert some surplus military Catalinas into Transport Category, Standard Airworthiness, 28-5ACF commercial airliners. The 28-5ACF Catalina continued to serve, now including the public's needs, delivering passengers and cargo to locations typically out of reach of the land based commercial transports which required traditional airport infrastructure, fighting wildfires, performing humanitarian missions, as well as many other essential activities, all with a well proven track record. And for those reasons, the Catalina is the most recognizable, highly respected, and legendary amphibious aircraft in the world. The Catalina has an incredible history, proudly serving 41 nations during their time of need and has competently operated in 83 airlines worldwide. The Catalina has earned the respect of all who have operated it and all that have had a chance to experience it.
Catalina Aircraft is seizing the moment and is recreating history for this legendary and respected amphibious aircraft to once again be the epitome of amphibious aviation operations, offering a new production, modernized, twin turboprop, Transport Category amphibious flying boat for the private, commercial, government and military sectors.
The NGAA Catalina II targets two major aircraft client groups, the civilian / commercial operator and the Government / Military customer. The NGAA Catalina II is set to be the largest, fastest, longest range / endurance, highest payload, and most capable amphibious aircraft available worldwide with Western Certifications.
The NGAA Catalina II carries forward the history and legendary performance of the currently Transport Category, Standard Airworthiness certificated 28-5ACF Catalina by exploiting today’s advances in digitization, systems, materials, corrosion control, avionics, and engine / propulsion technologies.
As tourism (and threats) grow around the world, so does the desire to travel to / operate in regions of the world not supported by traditional airport infrastructure. Realizing that seventy-one percent (71%) of the Earth’s surface is covered by water, why are seaplanes not more commonly employed in today’s amphibious operations? Quite simply said; While there is an abundance of (limited capability) Small Category "float converted" land planes, there is a capabilities gap that exists as there are currently no Western Certificated, Large, Transport Category amphibious aircraft being produced to fill those larger capability needs desired by many customers and end users worldwide.
The production continuation / production re-start of the NGAA Catalina II provides civilian, commercial, government and military operators a significant capabilities expansion over many current platforms employed in amphibious operations today. As an air-bridge, the NGAA Catalina II can offer precision, speed and flexibility from land to air to sea.
With an almost limitless multi - CONOPs potential from a single platform, the NGAA Catalina II offers a single asset solution capable of replacing several existing platform types, thus reducing overall Acquisition, Operational and Sustainment costs.
The NGAA Catalina II, like its predecessor, is a strategic force multiplier that can be employed across an entire spectrum of operations by way of Land, Air, and Sea.
The operational capabilities a Large, Transport Category amphibious flying boat can offer over those of a Small Category (under 12,500 pounds) float converted land plane are significant. Listed below are several of the Civilian / Commercial market segments the NGAA Catalina II can perform in:
Civilian / Commercial Applications:
● Passenger Airline Transport
● Air Cargo Transport
● Offshore Oil Rig Support
● Corporate / Personal / High Net Worth Air Yacht
● Air Ambulance
● Environmental Disaster Response
● Dive Emergency Response
● Fisheries Bulk Stocking
● Humanitarian Aid
● Postal / Supply Delivery
● Adventure Sports Transport
For situations where the NGAA Catalina II would be used to penetrate and / or conduct operations in contested environments, the Air Vehicle could be outfitted as an optionally manned or unmanned (UM/UAS) platform. Listed below are many of the Provincial, Joint Services, Department of Defense / Defense Ministry, and multi-role niches that the NGAA Catalina II is capable of performing:
● Aerial Firefighting
● Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA)*
● Border Patrol
● Search & Rescue
● Coastal Guard
● Customs Patrol
● Cloud Seeding
● Mosquito Control
● Maritime Disaster Response
● Economic Exclusive Zone (EEZ) Patrol*
● Riot Control (Water/Foam Drop)
● Disaster Relief Support (Hurricane, Typhoon, Tsunami)
● Hurricane / Typhoon Hunter*
● Deep-ocean Assessment and Reporting of Tsunami (DART) Station Support
● Anti-Piracy Patrol / Gunship*
● Anti-Surface Warfare (ASuW)*
● Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) w/ Dipping Sonar*
● Counter Insurgency (COIN)*
● Combat Search & Rescue (CSAR)*
● Executive / Head of State (HOS) Transport
● Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaissance (ISR)*
● Military Air Ambulance
● Aerial Weapons Platform (Organic Airborne Artillery)*
● Aerial Refueling Tanker*
● Airborne Early Warning & Control (AEW&C)*
● Airborne Mine Neutralization System (AMNS)*
● Sea Basing Troop Transport (Ship To Shore)
● Sea Basing Cargo Transport (Ship To Shore)*
● Special Operations Forces Support (SOFS)
● Tactical Bulk Fuel Delivery*
● Submarine Emergency Evacuation*
● Air Droppable Payload Delivery*
● Airspace Range Clearing*
● Surface Range Clearing (w/ interdiction)
● Maritime UAV Control, Support, and Recovery
● Target Tow (Airborne / Surface)*
● Non-Lethal Suppression / Interdiction Operations
● Cold Weather Insertion & Resupply*
● Non-combatant Evacuation Operations (NEO)
● Command and Control*
● (100’ Span) Modular Aerial Spray Systems (MASS)*
● Carrier On-board (COD) Delivery and Recovery
● Blue Water Delivery and Recovery
* Denotes possible CONOPS where Air Vehicle could be converted to an optionally manned or unmanned (UM/UAS) platform.